Part one of our breakdown of Visual.ly’s Small Business Guide to Twitter focused on businesses just getting started with Twitter. We’re back with part two to help those businesses that use Twitter, but want to create a more defined and focused marketing strategy.
What if I get Twitter but I need to create a strategy?
If your small business is already utilizing Twitter, but you’re not quite sure you have a working strategy integrated into your use and want to take your marketing to the next level, this section is geared toward you.
Start by building a content calendar for your business’s tweets. This will allow you to plan when you want to tweet something, and you can even use one of Twitter’s many certified product partners to assist you in scheduling your tweets.
Not sure when to tweet or how often? No problem. What works for one business might not work for the other. Visual.ly’s guide recommends businesses to start by tweeting once a day. Some ideas for tweets include promoting an exclusive sale or service during the week, providing a helpful tip or guide to help promote a sale, or sharing a customer interaction.
If you’re already scheduling your tweets and have found a good balance with the number of tweets you broadcast each day but want to get more engagement from your tweets, consider sharing technology or product updates, and experiment with videos, Q&As, and quotes from other sources. Also, share photos! Tweeting a photo drives twice the sharing.
Once you’ve got a good grasp on the content you wish to share, make sure to write tweets that are geared toward your goals. Whether you want a direct response from a tweet such as a sale, or simply desire driving engagement and building relationships with your customers, it’s imperative to separate and identify your tweets based on what you wish to accomplish.
Visual.ly suggests tailoring 80 percent of your tweets toward engagement, with the remaining 20 percent focused on direct selling.
So what exactly separates a direct response tweet from a tweet geared toward engagement? For a direct response tweet, you’ll want to first communicate a sense of urgency. Deliver a strong call to action with a compelling and relevant offer that sets clear expectations for clicking. Make sure not to use hashtags or mentions, and include a website URL to the specific product or offer.
For tweets focused toward driving engagement and building relationships, don’t be shy! Ask for what you want. You can increase your business’s reach by explicitly asking for retweets, replies, or mentions. Seize the moment by tweeting about industry-based, seasonal and cultural events, which are great opportunities to tap into popular conversations and engage followers. And don’t forget to get visual! Tweeting images can drive double the engagement.
If you want to drive sales using Twitter, there are a few best practices and tools you can use to your advantage. Many businesses big and small may not realize the impact Twitter can have on driving sales. 35 percent of Twitter users follow businesses for discounts and promotions, and your business can get in on the action by asking for suggestions from your followers to find an incentive they will love, tweeting clear instructions on how to unlock offers, and announcing promotions with a tweet and follow up with frequent countdowns.
Finally, as with any business decision, it’s important to track results. You must define your metrics and track your activity. You can do this by tracking your follower growth, the quality of your followers based on how many users favorite and retweet your tweets, and your conversion rate based on how many Twitter users sign up for your service or purchase your product.
You can also amplify your results by utilizing Twitter ads, allowing you to gain followers more quickly, reach the right type of customer, and measure your results with real time insights and metrics.
So there you go! If you’re a small business that hasn’t used Twitter before, you now have the building blocks to create a killer profile and attract the right type of customers. If you’re a small business that is on Twitter but wasn’t sure if you had the right strategy implemented in your use, you can now take your marketing to the next level.
Written by Luke Severn
Luke is a marketing coordinator at Kaufer DMC. He loves writing, music, movies, the Seattle Seahawks and the Portland Trail Blazers.